Oklahoma Jazz Camp Returning in the Summer of 2016
• Location & Facilities: The 2016 Oklahoma Jazz Camp, classes, and rehearsals will be held at the Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame in downtown Tulsa.
• Camp Placement Audition: An orientation meeting and placement audition for all students will be held at the Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame. Students should prepare a jazz selection (jazz etude, excerpt, or solo transcription). Students are encouraged to demonstrate improvisation skills (optional for those entering at a beginner level) at the audition. To determine proper placement into the Jazz Improvisation/Theory courses, students may be asked to demonstrate knowledge of major and minor scales.
• Camp Fees: The fee for attending the camp is $200, which includes all materials, classes, music, and a camp T-shirt. Limited scholarship assistance is available for qualifying students.
• Camp Enrollment: To enroll, mail a $25 non-refundable deposit or the full amount payable to the “Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame” with the attached camp registration form.
• Camp Classes and Curriculum: Classes will go 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. every day with a lunch break from 11:50 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. for the May through June classes. Jazz Camp faculty will be available to teach a limited number of private lessons to camp participants. The educational focus of the camp will be to increase the student’s capacity to improvise jazz.
• Tommy Poole is director of Jazz Studies and assistant professor of music at Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Ok. As an educator, Poole has served as guest saxophonist and/or clinician for various regional and national jazz festivals and was named the 2010 Oklahoma Collegiate Jazz Educator of the Year by the Oklahoma Jazz Educators Association. His research on metric modulations in jazz has been published in Jazz Inside Magazine. He is a member of the Jazz Education Network, College Music Society, and Oklahoma Jazz Educators Association.
Please feel free to email or call (918)928-JAZZ (5299) if you have any questions. Or visit us at www.OklahomaJazzCamp.com. We look forward to hearing from you!